Our Family A Little Older

Our Family A Little Older

Our Family

Our Family
Holland decided to do a funny face picture without telling the rest of the family. This is my favorite picture!

Friday, April 9, 2010

Brittin and The Principal

Brittin is amazing! On Tuesday I was picking her up at choir and after she got into the car she asked me.."Mom tomorrow can you take me into the principals office?" I was totally shocked when she said this. I asked her why. I thought things were going better for her in school. She had been having some problems with her teacher and we had gone in for a conference with the teacher and the principal twice to fix them. She told me there were still problems and that she had a lot of support from her friends to do this. She said she wanted to set up an assembly with the teachers so the kids could tell them how they felt. I was speechless. I really didn't know how to handle this. I told her I would take her in but I wanted to understand more of why she felt she needed to go.

When we got home I told her to go and put her thoughts together and to come and talk to me after the kids went to bed. Later on she and I sat down and she proceeded to unload everything that was bothering her. I wont go into all of the details but I was a little shocked at how much she had to say. She had some very valid feelings and reasons to be upset. I explained to her that the Principal probably wouldn't allow her to do an assembly but she would definitely listen and hopefully will help her to resolve her feelings. I at this point am still stunned with the courage and determination my daughter is showing. Brittin has been so shy and quiet and insecure since we moved. This is so out of her comfort zone to even be thinking about it, let alone actually do it. I told her I would take her tomorrow if she wanted me to.

The next morning when she got up I wondered if she would still want to do this. I thought maybe after she slept on it she might be scared to go in. This is what I was prepared for, so imagine my surprise when she insisted on going. She did have butterflies, I mean who wouldn't! This is the principal office. Anyway I sent an email to let her Principal know we were coming and that Brittin had a few things to tell her. I asked again before we left if she was OK and she said "Mom I just need to do this." So off we went.

Mrs. Peizman was very kind. She listened to Brittin and made notes and at the end validated Brittin's frustration. She tolled her that she was very brave and that she loved that Brittin felt comfortable enough to come in and talk to her. She told her to never lose that. She explained to her that she couldn't do an assembly. We all knew that was coming, even Brittin. She did tell her that she had a conference already set up with Mrs. Ritter and would bring all of this up at that point. Brittin was very satisfied with the solution and said ok. She wiped her nose (from all of the crying and unloading and nerves) and stood up and went to class.

I am speechless! I can't believe the strength and courage of my daughter! I am so proud of her!

3 comments:

  1. Very Brave! What a Big Girl! You should be so proud of her for standing up for what she felt was the right thing to do. Give her a pat on the back from me ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I AM so proud. How could you not be. I am beaming with pride!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is pretty great. I hope resolution is in the air.

    ReplyDelete