Our Family A Little Older

Our Family A Little Older

Our Family

Our Family
Holland decided to do a funny face picture without telling the rest of the family. This is my favorite picture!

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

I canned my own chicken!


I did it! I can't believe it! I know for anyone out there that is an avid canner that this probably seems silly to you...but I did it. I canned my own chicken!

Shawn and I decided to work on our food storage this year with our tax return. We set aside $1,000.00 to do this with. We wanted to use more but with all of the Hospital stays we have had this year we decided that was all we could afford. We spent money on new shelves for some of it and a lot of food but we also decided to buy a pressure cooker and try canning some of our own food to save some money. We decided with the price on canned chicken it wasn't worth buying and not to mention it tastes terrible. Anyway so we bought the Walmart special. (A friend told me it was the canner for me cuz it was like canning for dummies. No extra gadgets to worry about. That is why she bought it.) So we got one and bought 10 chickens. Yes 10, and the lady checking us out looked at us like we were nuts. We took them home and cooked them. It was quite the process to cook and then basically demolish these poor birds and then bottle the meat.

Canning has always seemed so big to me. Bigger than me. I always felt so overwhelmed that I never wanted to try it. Surprisingly...very easy just a lot of work. We spent $40.00 on the chicken and we figure with the amount of chicken we have it would cost us $180.00 if we were to buy it in cans. Savings....$140.00!! You can't tell me it wasn't worth it. Yes we will be doing it again soon. Maybe ground beef next. By the way, I have used one of my bottles already.....so yummy!

SUCCESS!!!

2 comments:

  1. You Rock girl! I need to get back into the canning swing. Thanks for the example!

    ReplyDelete
  2. whoohoo! that's a lot of chicken...and a lot of savings! Good job:)

    ReplyDelete