Our Family A Little Older

Our Family A Little Older

Our Family

Our Family
Holland decided to do a funny face picture without telling the rest of the family. This is my favorite picture!

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Brittin's Allergy


Well Brittin has had a year! Back in November Brittin developed a rash. The rash wasn't too bad but it did begin to get worse as the month went on. It started on her stomach and moved everywhere! Before long she had this severe rash that covered literally every inch of her body. I was really getting concerned. The rash clumped together and created soars that would crack and bleed. We made an appointment with the Dermatologist and found out that Brittin has an allergy to Nickel. We knew this but according to the Doctor she has become more and more sensitive to nickel the more she has been exposed. He told us we needed to get rid of all nickel touching her skin. So we went home and did just what he said. He put her on Prednisolone and the rash went away. He told us that we could paint her snaps with clear fingernail polish to help with jeans. Once she was done with her medication though, the rash came back with a vengeance. We took her back and he said the allergy was worse than he thought and ALL nickel had to go. That includes the snaps on her jeans. So I asked a friend of mine, Jen, to come and help me pull all of the snaps, buttons and zippers out of Brittin's jeans. We sat and worked on it for 2 and a half hours. We did this to two pairs of jeans. I have a picture of all the metal we pulled out. This was work. We have since figured out that not only did we need to do that but they had to change her desk and chair at school, she cant eat with silverware, and the kazoo in her singing class is also metal so we have to get her a plastic one. Amazing. I never knew that a nickel allergy would change her life so drastically. We just finished getting NEW glasses for her because those had nickel too. WOW!! She has been such a trooper through this whole thing. I am so impressed with her. This is a bit of a trial but she is doing great!

Look my little Brit is wearing Jeans!!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That is alot for a Mommy and poor Brittin. How frustrating- how does it work with the other kids stuff? She just can't have it touching her? What an overwhelming allergy- we miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brittin, wow what a deal! At least you are not allergic to Chocolote. I simply could not handle that! I will try to look for some cute errings for you that you can wear.
    Keep up your funny sense of humor! I Love you.
    love,
    Nana

    ReplyDelete